Monday, November 10, 2008

Green Smoothie and guilt free cookies!

Like I promised my green smoothie recipe!!!! I am going to share two of my own favorite recipes, these are great for those who love sweets but can't afford to feel guilty heehee! One of the ingredients I always keep in my pantry is whole wheat flour. I make all kinds of things with it, replacing the yucky super refined bleached unhealthy flour. I make Corn Bread, Carrot Cake, Cinna-buns and so much more it's unreal... There is so many members from our family suffering from Diabetes that we have eliminated refined starches and white sugar out our lives it's been a couple of years now... btw, we use primarily organic brown sugar or evaporated sugar cane and honey to replace white sugar in bakery items or syrup in our pancakes, and WE LOVE IT! Honey has a low glycemic index.

I am going to start with the Green Smoothie:

Tropical Green Smoothie
I Cup of Almond milk (you could use rice milk or soy, find alternatives to cow's milk if you can!)
2 Bananas
2 handfulls of spinach
1/2 watermelon
Mix all ingredients in your blender:

when done, add a cup of ice and blend some more. If you want some protein in your smoothie you can add a spoon of Hemp Hearts! This stuff is like gold: They are full of essential fatty acids, protein, vitamins and amino acids. Trust me, it tastes like nothing!


And here it is... It tastes like heaven. It's so sweet you won't taste the Spinach at all if that is what you are worrying about I know you!!!!!! haha ...but you need some cookies now right?


It is a 'Kid Approved Recipe'


You are going to looooove these! They came out fluffy, chewy and d.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s! :)
(C= Cup T= Teaspoon)

Honey-Oat Cookies
1 C whole wheat flour
1/4 T salt
1/4 T cinnamon
1/2 T baking powder
1/4 T baking soda
1/2 C melted light butter (I used Smart Balance made with flax oil)
1 egg
1/2 C honey
1 T brown sugar
3 T milk
1 1/2 C oats
1 T raw cacao (optional)

Mix all dry ingredients, mix well. Then mix in the honey, butter and milk together and place mixture into small portions over a cookie sheet. Bake in 325 degrees for 15 - 25 minutes.

Ta-dah! can't get healthier than that!
You can also add walnuts to the mix if you like... yum!

To make an Asian Green Smoothie, instead of the watermelon, add a Thai Young coconut (water and flesh) and voila! hmmmmmmmmmmm! Buen Provecho!

No comments: