I purchased tons of Gerber prefolds about 4 to 5 years ago, my two daughters used them but I honestly hated them! They were not absorbent at all and they were always soaked in pee no matter the cover they used! The double prefold used to do the trick but they were extremely bulky. I am having my third baby (IT'S A BOY!!!) and decided to turn my prefolds around and give them a little 'punch'.
...then made my own version of Pre-Fold to Fitted!
Take TWO prefolds and cut out a pattern with your favorite fitted diaper.
Trace wings with remaining pieces,
Cut and Stitch (you can hide stitching but I personally like the revealing zig zag on my wings and I am lazy lol)
I don't have a serger so I zig zag stitched around the 2 prefolds.
I stitched the elastic on the leg area then straight stitched a favorite flannel right side up (against prefolds), turn and zig zag stitched the wings, back, front straight stitched around the elastic creating a casing.
Now I got a nice fitted prefold for my newborn!
You can add a terry soaker for extra absorbency! You can also extend the front by adding more fabric like I did on the wings, it will create a small to medium fitted prefold. You can also add aplix, velcro or snaps. I decided to use pins on this one because I am not sure how big or small my baby is going to be, but I can't hardly wait to have him wearing these cuties!!!! :)