Friday, May 2, 2008

My healthy version of Fried Plantains!

Patacones, like we call them in my country, or Tostones a lo Cubano chico! They are all the same... Green/Mashed Plantains are taken into a wok filled with hot oil and deep fried. They have a 2 process step, cut and smash how I call it and they are soooooo yummy! BUT, not so healthy! You are right...

I decided to bake-oven my plantains today, just because I have been craving so much this side dish, let's see how they come out...

  • I cut them up in pieces (1" ea.) and moist them with organic olive oil and ionized sea salt.
  • Put them in the pre-heated oven at 410 degrees over non-stick pan for 10 minutes.
  • I later took them out and smash each of them with the bottom of a narrow cup, then put them back in the oven for another 10 more minutes or until they are brown/crispy!



YUM!!!!

  • Eat them with your favorite dipping sauce, I love using just plain organic Ketchup or a mixture of Ketchup, hot sauce and Smart Balance Mayo!!!! Buen Apetito :)

3 comments:

mommyholly said...

OK, yummmmm!!!! I have dedicated this summer to learning new recipes, so this is going on my list of things to try! :)

Jessica.Cocker said...

They look sooo yummy! Def. going to have to try this out!

gmistudio said...

i love Patacones !!!